Monday, November 2, 2015

Step By Step: Lilly Pulitzer Jellies Be Jammin'


Clearly, from reading my blog, I am obsessed with two things: Lilly Pulitzer and crafts. I dabble in paint every now and then but I've never really mastered it. I'm more of a jack of all trades person when crafting ha. The Lilly Pulitzer prints look so intricate but can be easily broken down step by step. That's where I came up with this "series" of post's name. Today I started with one of top favorite prints, Jellies Be Jammin'.


I use the normal craft paint from Walmart by Apple Barn, Plaid.


To me the worst part is starting, so I break it down. I started with the Jelly Fish bodies in the light pink color, Pink Parfait.


Second, I add tentacles in the hot pink color, Fuchsia. They don't have to be perfect because they're just jelly fish.


 Next, I add tentacles in the light pink color, Pink Parfait. Now looking at the pictures I'm wondering why in the world I did the tentacle colors in the order that I did but it all comes out the same.


The last tentacles that I paint are the dots seen in the print, Jellies Be Jammin'. I used Pumpkin Orange and Lime Sherbet and dipped just the end of my paint brush to get perfect dots.


Lastly, I add the background. Now I would have usually painted the background first. However, for Lilly patterns you can see that it matches better to do the background last to show the white behind. I don't think this is a deliberate thing by Lilly. I think the print artist get that affect from using watercolor. But thats just the impression I get.


Cornhole boards I painted for myself in "Jellies Be Jammin'" and "Lobstah Roll" last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment