Friday, November 13, 2015

DIY Monogrammed Graduation Cap


                                      

I recently graduated this past May from college and I couldn't just leave my cap and gown plain. I got my gown embroidered with my monogram and I decorated my own cap. I've inserted a picture of it below.


Recently I was contacted by a friend that wanted me to help her decorate her cap similar to mine for her December graduation. I agreed instantly and like always I spoke too soon without really thinking about my availability. We agreed on getting her to mail it to me, as well as her cousins, and I would decorate them.

Here is my step by step process:


To start I laid the cap on top of the glitter scrapbook paper and traced.


After cutting off the excess I used my nifty knife to cut out a hole for the tab that holds the tassle.


I used pre-glued strips of pearls along the sides. The strips were purchased at Michaels craft store and they are in half which helps cut out bulkiness in the decorations. On my cap I simply stuck them on but everytime it was touched the pearl strip would fall off. To ensure the cap would mail well and stay on, I hot glued the ends and middle of each strip.


I used extra pearls to glue on the tab that holds the tassle. These DEFINITELY need to be hot glued down because the tassle will knock them off.


My friend wanted gold glitter and her cousin wanted silver glitter. 


Now it's time for the Monogram! I cut out a monogram decal around 6 inches to place in the middle. After struggling and wasting two monograms I called it a night and planned to head to Michaels the next morning.


The glitter scrapbook paper had chunky glitter and the decal wasn't able to stick to any smooth surface. I ripped off the old paper and replaced it with gold (and silver) paper with shimmer.


After re-decorating both caps they were ready for monograms. The first step is to center and place the monogram on the cap, obviously.


Next, I slowly pressed and peeled back the transfer tape.


Now this picture might look crazy, but its easily fixed with a knife.


Simply cut what overlaps the tab and throw it away.


And Voila! It's ready!



My friend wanted a bow like mine, you can see hers done below. Her cousin, however, didn't want a bow, but her school and year in the corner instead.





2 comments:

  1. Hello I love your graduation caps. I am looking to decorate mine. Where do you get the monogram decals?

    ReplyDelete