Monday, May 18, 2015

Lilly Pulitzer Inspired DIY: "Tusk in Sun" Painted Jewelry Box

The day I never thought finally came, the last day of school...ever. I finished my last day of classes of college a few weeks ago and was dying to paint. It had been forever since I painted last because I finally had time to. That day I stopped by Target to celebrate, because who doesn't celebrate at Target? In the craft section of the local Super Target (which is magical by the way) I found two perfect colors and a precious wood jewelry box and knew exactly what I wanted to paint. If you can't quite make out the names in the picture I used "Azalea"(pink) and Midnight"(blue).
My Supplies

I really love "Tusk in Sun" by Lilly Pulitzer and the colors will match my new apartment. I was nervous at first but after some pep talk (to myself of course) I was ready to start! A secret I use to ensure a perfect design every time is making my own stencils. I bring up the picture on my computer, make sure the brightness is turned all the way up, and trace the design with a pencil on paper. The design that has a white or light background works best and I zoom in until the design is the exact size I want. Then I cut it out with scissors and use it as a stencil.

Time for paint!

After painting the bottom I decided the design was just too detailed and took too much time. It would also look too busy on top.

I cut out my monogram in circle font in vinyl with my silhouette cameo and used it as a stencil to paint my monogram on the top.

The end product!

No comments:

Post a Comment