Monday, November 16, 2015

Antique Dining Table Makeover


I recently graduated college and was living on campus so I had to get my own apartment pronto for work. I had nothing but a set of plates that would be able to work in my new apartment. My Nana was cleaning out my sweet late Great Grandmother's house about the same time and wanted to know if I would like any of her furniture. I didn't quite see the promising future in this dining set but my mom insisted we could fix it up good as new!


The chairs were still very sturdy and made with high quality wood. However they were needing some serious cleaning and new cushions. The seats were made of plastic fabric and had no cushion.


We sprayed them with ivory spray paint. Yes, you read that right! Basic Krylon Ivory Spray Paint


Mom is a master of upholstering chairs. She cushioned and re-upholstered them with blue fabric from Walmart.

What little bit of hope I had was in the table. It was sturdy and beautiful. Mom lightly sanded and then lacquered the top. 


Using the same spray paint from the chairs, I sprayed just the bottom and legs of the table.


As you can see in the picture the table has gorgeous hints of green in the wood grain. Also you can see a little bit of design left on the edges.


We found some pretty white and tan linen curtains from Target and a shell picture at Homegoods. 


My entire apartment has a beach theme so we found the straw placemats, seersucker napkins, and conch shell bowl at Home Goods. I bought the starfish and sand dollar at Calahans of Calabash store in Calabash, NC. The crown salt and pepper shakers that I found at an antique store years ago and I've been dying to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment